Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Blog #4 "iPod World: The End of Society?"

     In the essay, "iPod World: The End of Society?" written by Andrew Sullivan, he tells of a realization he had while in New York City.  He describes the once vibrant, energetic, loud city, as becoming deaf, and silenced by our need to isolate ourselves within society.  Its is ironic to think about what he is saying this article.  Society isolating themselves by walking around with music playing in their ears, has created a deaf city.  A place that is home to millions is now a town of one!  I too have marveled at this puzzle.  I waited years to get an iPod mostly because it was expensive.  Now I have an iPod Nano, iPod Touch, and an iPad!  Do I really need these devices?  No, but it filled my empty end of the possession.  When I moved from Los Angeles, I said it was because I lived in a city that was home to 19 million people and I always felt alone.  More than likely, because of this very reason.  We as a society have literally isolated ourselves, from ourselves.  Becoming more and more dependent on the Internet and our wireless devices to fulfill our socializing needs.  We communicate through Facebook, Twitter and now Facetime.  We never have to leave our homes, we can do everything from the comfort of our coaches.  What are the effects of this?  The biggest issue I see is being disconnected from life.  We experience life through a screen and we never even have to get out of our pajamas!  

No comments:

Post a Comment