Monday, January 16, 2012

Blog # 1 (The Price of Reading Is Eternal Vigilance)


I like Anatole Broyard take on reading and the responsibility we have as readers to be as much apart of the book as the writer.  In “The Price of Reading Is Eternal Vigilance” Broyard talks about how we separate ourselves from a book and put them above us in different ways.  It is up to the reader to become apart of the story just like in The Never Ending Story, where the boy becomes apart of the story and its up to him to save the characters from disappearing.  For me, it is always so sad to end a good book.  I sit and wonder what the characters are doing after the final chapter.  I imagine where they are and I wish the story could go on forever.  What I feel Broyard is trying to convey is that through a good book, or a bad one, if we allow ourselves to transcend through the words and into the story, we will connect once again to all that we really are “One.” 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice response, Taryn. I think you took away an important aspect of the reading- that we lose something really important about the process of reading when we, as you say, "separate ourselves from the book." Your blog is looking great so far!

    ReplyDelete